Thursday, 31 May 2012

The plan

Ok. So I'm trying to lose weight and be fitter and healthier. I'll lay my cards on the table. Now that the wedding has been and gone (Yes. I know most people try and lose weight BEFORE the wedding but I just didn't quite manage to do it) I want to be healthy and thinking ahead to the future we want to have a family soon (though kind of on hold due to finances). So I wanted to get in there early and start preparing myself physically by losing weight to be as healthy as I can.


I started by going to my doctor, who referred me to a Health Care Assistant (HCA) who as it happens is one of the most lovely people I've ever met! She totally put me at ease as I was pretty nervous as my weight is kind of a touchy subject for me. She's been really positive and encouraging. I felt I needed some advice regarding my diet, as I'm vegetarian and have PCOS, so I'm aware that there is certain things I should avoid/reduce my intake of but I struggle to get the variety I think I need. So basically she's referring me to a Nutrionist who should be able to help me with this, so I'm on the waiting list. So since I first went just over a month ago I have lost nearly half a stone/ 3kg, which I'm pretty chuffed with for under 5 weeks. It's not drastic but it's steady which is what I was aiming for. 

I also had a general health check (or MOT as I like to call it!) so I had my blood cells tested, liver and kidney function check, a diabetes and thyroid check and cholesterol check. They all came back normal and my HCA was especially pleased with my cholesterol levels which were rated as 3.4. She said under 5 was healthy so I was relieved about this as this was something I had been concerned about. So I feel a bit better knowing I've not "damaged" myself so to speak with my unhealthy habits and that it's not too late to change. 
 
So it's early days but I really need to keep at it as I find I quite easily fall into bad habits so I'm hoping updating this blog, along with keeping my food diary will help encourage me to do this.  

3 comments:

  1. It's good that you got the health check first. My cholesterol was 7.9 Eek! But I managed to get it down to 7.2 and then to 6.5 by dieting.
    Good luck on your weightloss journey. I am your newest follwer and will keep popping in to see how you are doing and offer some support and motivation.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I am happy that your health check went well. And glad that you are here. I find that reading others stories helps keep me motivated so I look forward to following you. This isn't an easy journey but as I have proved to myself it can be done. I also have a form of pcos (hair-an syndrome) and hoshimoto thyroidittis (speelled wrong). People told me that the cards were stacked against me, but I am proving them wrong. The smaller I get the more in check those problems seem to be. I will be here to support you on your journey, I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement ladies, it means a lot :)

    That's really good that you've already reduced your cholesterol levels Linda. And Brandie, it's really encouraging to hear that your symptoms are are getting more in check. x

    ReplyDelete