Thursday, 26 July 2012

First circuit and strength training class- done!

Well, I did it. And I'm a little surprised I didn't chicken out tbh. 


When I got to the gym I was first told to sit with some women who were also waiting for the class. I started speaking to one woman, who I've come to the conclusion is one of the competitive types that my instructor mentioned. It was only her second week but by the time the class was over she was insisting that her first week was far harder than mine. Funnily enough I overheard the instructor say at the end that they'd made this class harder (I'm sure I had a wee smirk on my face when I heard that). 


Our first hurdle was climbing the stairs to the class which was 3 floors up. We started off with a warm up and the first thing I learnt is that I have terrible coordination skills. Me trying to do a mirror image of what the instructor was doing was a challenge, no doubt about it! However, I managed- just! The next thing we did was a series of runs from one end of the hall to the other. I have to be honest and say I was filled with dread when we had to get into groups. The thought of running in front of a room full of people made me feel a little sick. I think there was 5 runs in total. This included running backwards, sideways, then doing 10 reps of various exercises between runs. While we waited for our turn to run there was plenty of marching on the spot to keep us going. I have to say although I'm still not totally comfortable with running, especially in front of people, it felt quite nice being in a room with other people like me who I felt weren't judging me in the way I automatically assume most slimmer people do. 


After this the actual circuit training started. We had to get into groups of 3, then do a mixture of running from one side of the hall to the other for 1 minute, star jumps for a minute and then 1 minute of differing exercises, for example wall press ups, step ups etc. This was repeated for 8 stations. Needless to say by this point I am knackered! We finished it by cooling off walking round the room and stretching. 


I did doubt myself in the first 5 minutes of the class. It even crossed my mind that I might not return. But I'm so glad I went and will definitely be going back on Tuesday. I'm quite surprised how much I pushed myself,I did full star jumps at every opportunity even though the instructor suggested we do half ones and I ran rather than jogged for most of running parts of the circuit, which probably doesn't sound like much at all, but usually I try and exert myself as little as possible. As a result I am now paying for it, my thighs ache so much! Going up and down stairs is really sore but I'm determined to go to the gym tomorrow after work (not for my circuit training class) just to use the machines. 


So all in all it turned out to be a good experience and I'm pleasantly surprised. :) 

6 comments:

  1. Wahooooo!! Sounds like this class is whipping you into shape in no time probably!! Glad it was enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah if the first class is anything to go by I should hopefully be feeling some changes by the end of the 12 weeks! :)

      Delete
  2. Its a good sore though and as much as I love you it might hurt more tomorrow. Barry hurts more the second day I'm e day after and well I'm guessing you might be quite like me ;) you are doing well and provinding me with motivation so thank you. Love and hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...funny you should say that, the second day was a killer! And thanks Jem, love and hugs back. x

      Delete
  3. Go you!! That sounds like a lot of work, and you did it. Not sure I would have the courage to do this in a group setting so double kudos to you!! Keep up the amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandie, I just need to keep at it now and not give up like I have in the past.

      Delete